The triangular square along the Kröpeliner Straße has taken its name from the main building situated there (built in around 1870) belonging to the university, which had long been established since 1419. The square is also home to the monument (made by Johann Gottfried Schadow) in memory of Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, who was born in the city in 1742. Blücher, the hero of the Wars of Liberation, was the first honorary citizen of Rostock. The Barocksaal (built in 1750) in the former Grand Ducal Palace is a reminder of the residence of the Mecklenburg Herzog (Duke) in the Hanseatic city.
The five-gable building opposite was completed in 1986. It shows that new construction can have a harmonic effect on existing structures, even when they are built using large panels. The inhabitants of Rostock took ownership of the Rostocker Hof Gallery in 1995 and it now houses shops, eateries and a hotel under its glass dome.
address & contact