Watching sport: top sport in Rostock
When it comes to the topic of “watching sport” in the Hanseatic City, many Rostock natives will immediately bring up that magical keyword: football. Our football club F.C. Hansa Rostock was founded in 1965 and plays its home league games at the Ostseestadion. When it comes to handball, HC Empor Rostock is also a successful team in the German league. The Rostock Seawolves basketball team plays its league games at the Rostock Stadthalle in the second-tier league, the ProA. You can, of course, watch other types of sport – such as volleyball, American Football or inline hockey – at various different venues. On the ice, if you want to watch short track or ice hockey, you can go watch the Rostock Piranhas.
On the Baltic: sailing, surfing, Warnemünde Week
A totally different and exciting topic here by the Baltic: wind surfing and kite surfing, whose manoeuvres you can regularly marvel at on the beach in Warnemünde. You’ll also find the public attraction SportBeachArena at the Baltic resort beneath the Warnemünde lighthouse every summer. In addition to training sessions, sporting competitions and tournaments are also held here. With Warnemünde Week, you can follow along with the third largest sailing regatta in Germany. It takes place every year in the first week of July and attracts sailing enthusiasts from just under 40 nations. Dragon boat racing and beach handball are also part of the programme.
Triathletes in Rostock also use the excellent facilities due to the favourable location – right by the water and surrounded by nature. There are various city runs which are popular with athletes and the public alike in the middle of the city and by the city port.
Sports & Clubs from A to Z
- Even beyond the city limits, Rostock has enjoyed ice hockey success .
- The Rostock Piranhas represent Rostock ice hockey all over Germany, which has enabled them to become so successful.
- The Piranhas currently play in the ‘Oberliga Nord’ division.
- Beyond the city and region limits, Rostock is also well known for its football success because of F.C. Hansa Rostock
- F.C. Hansa Rostock is also known amongst football fans outside Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. This traditional club in the North was particularly successful in the GDR’s ‘Oberliga’ league.
- Currently, F.C. Hansa Rostock plays in the 3rd Bundesliga.
- HC Empor Rostock has been writing handball history in Rostock since 1946.
- Handball also plays an important role in Rostock. Paul Friedrich Reder, named ‘Fiete’, was the founder of Rostock’s handball tradition. The Handball Club Empor Rostock has been around in Rostock since 1946.
- HC Empor Rostock currently plays in the 2nd handball ‘Bundesliga’ league.
- They play at the StadtHalle Rostock (Südring 90, 18059 Rostock) and the OSPA Arena (Tschaikowskistr. 45, 18069 Rostock).
- Rostock also boasts success in inline hockey.
- Inline hockey has been a sport in Germany since the mid 80s and is becoming more and more popular. In Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, the Rostocker Nasenbären are a successful inline hockey team, attracting enthusiastic sports fans to the city.