St. Marien is Rostocks most beautiful and most important church (1230). The transept and nave of the cruciform basilica are of equal length and underline the cohesive impression of this Gothic church. Lavish furnishings include the astronomical clock (1472) and a bronze baptismal font (1290).
P +49 (0)381 45 33 25
May Sept Mon Sat 10 am 6 pm, Sun / public
holidays 11.15 am 5 pm;
Oct Apr Mon Sat 10 am 4 pm, Sun / public
holidays 11 am 12.15 pm
Guided tours for groups on request (P +49(0)381 25222944).
Admission: groups 1 donation p. p.
The 117-metres tall steeple of St. Petri, high on the banks of the Warnow, was a landmark for sailors and fishermen over the centuries. Today, a lift takes visitors 44 metres up to an observation platform. The Gothic spire, destroyed in the Second World War, was reconstructed in 1994.
P +49 (0)381 211 01
May Oct daily 10 am 6 pm;
Nov Apr daily 10 am 4 pm
(18.04.14 und 24.12.14 closed)
lift to observation platform: 3 p. p.
groups: from 10 pers. 2.50 p. p.
The St. Nikolai Church in Rostock is one of the oldest of the remaining hall churches in the Baltic region. The imposing brick building is open for religious and other cultural events. Curious to look at are the three living floors in the Gothic hall roof.
Bei der Nikolaikirche 1
P +49 (0)381 493 41 15
F +49 (0)381 459 02 88
May Sept Mon Fri 10 am 1 pm (except on publicholidays and events)
The former Cistercian convent was founded in the year 1270 by the Danish Queen Margarete. The monastery was named after a fragment of the cross of Jesus Christ. It is now seat of the Cultural History Museum of Rostock. The convent complex with church (nowadays the university church), cloisters and refectory is fully preserved.
Tue Sun 10 am 6 pm
The Franciscans began with the establishment of this monastery in 1223. With the Reformation, the monks disappeared and the Katharinenstift was from now on used as a poor house. Today it houses the Rostock University of Music and Drama. The building ensemble from the 13th and 14th centuries was restored in an exemplary way and supplemented with modern buildings.
Beim St.-Katharinenstift 8
P +49 (0)381 510 80
F +49 (0)381 510 81 01
On the former market square of the middle town you will today find gabled houses, the fountain of seagulls with Greek gods and Town Hall. The latter came to be in 1270 as a two floor double gable house with a vaulted cellar. It unites different building styles. A baroque porch was fitted onto the front of the Gothic facade with its seven turrets. The vaulted cellar and the entrance hall are definitely worth a visit.
The House of the Estates was built in the style of Historicism (1890) and used to be the seat of the Mecklenburg provincial states. Today it houses the Higher Regional Court. The Stone Gate next door was erected in the style of the Dutch Renaissance (1574 1577). It is elaborately decorated by the citys seal and coat of arms, as well as the inscription Sit intra te concordia et publica felicitas (Let harmony and general well-being reign within thy walls).
Wallstraße / Steinstraße
The Kröpelin Gate (Kröpeliner Tor), first mentioned in documents in 1280, is the most magnificent of the former 22 city and water gates. The six-storey building with a height of 54 metres is today a city history meeting centre and shows an exhibition about Rostocks city fortifications.
P +49 (0)381 121 64 15
F +49 (0)381 360 72 40
daily 10 am 6 pm (except public holidays)
Admission: from 10 pers. 1 p. p.
The city harbour on the banks of the river Warnow with a museum and yacht harbour is a popular pedestrian zone with restaurants, shops and large stores. Rostocks entire sea-trade used to be concentrated here until the current port opened in 1960. From the Kanonsberg (cannons mountain) near the Fischerbastion you can get the best view of the city harbour. Previously this was a strategic defense point for the harbour entrance. Three old cannons remind of this.
Large sections of Rostocks city defences are still preserved today. The city wall itself with gates, towers, watch houses and ramparts was built during the second half of the 13th century. The Kuhtor is the oldest town gate in Mecklenburg (first mentioned in 1262). The longest section of the city wall, at 450 metres, stretches from the Kröpelin Gate to Schwaansche Strasse. The only beach gate preserved is the classicist gate Mönchentor.
Kröpeliner Tor / Schwaansche Straße
With a structure richly decorated in terracotta the main university building was erected in 1867 in the style of the Italian Renaissance. The university was founded in 1419 and is one of the oldest in Northern Europe. On the square in the heart of the city you will also find the five gabled house (1986), the fountain of joy (1980), the Blücher monument (1819), the Baroque Hall (1750) and the former grand-ducal palace.
The 30.6 metres high lighthouse, built in 1897/98, is made of white glazed bricks. The galleries of the tower provide you with a superb panoramic view of Warnemünde, the Baltic Sea, the beach and the harbour entrance. At the foot of the lighthouse is Warnemündes famous Teepott (teapot), a round building with an unconventional roof (1967/68) and with cafés and restaurants.
Am Leuchtturm 1
P +49 (0)381 519 26 26
Easter beginning of Oct daily 10 am 7 pm
Admission: 2, groups on request
The neo-gothic church in the centre of the seaside resort was built in 1866 1871. It is already the third building in Warnemünde. Lavish furnishings: exquisite carved altar (1475), the Renaissance pulpit (1591) and the statue of Saint Christopher.
P +49 (0)381 375 59 67
F +49 (0)381 375 59 67
May Sept Mon Sat
10 am 6 pm, Sun / public holidays 12 pm 6 pm;
Oct Apr on request
Today the former harbour entrance is a combined fishing and sailing harbour. Tours of the harbour and sea trips start here. The street Am Strom, formerly called Vörreeg (front row), is Warnemündes most important promenade with its charming captains and fishermens houses. The Middle Pier on the opposite side with fish market invites to feast and to look at the ships.
Am Strom / Am Bahnhof
The most valuable and oldest building of Warnemünde is the bailiwick. She was a Royal Danish Palace (1250), a royal bailiwick, manor, residence of the Swedish and French bailiffs and the seat of the municipal bailiff (1605). The bailiwick has always been a hospitable house with brewery and tavern. Today it is the seat of the tourist board and the local tourist information.
Am Strom 59
Home > Englisch > Sightseeing